Contact lens warning after student nearly goes blind

Medical experts have issued an alert on the inappropriate use of contact lenses after a 14-year-old college student in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, nearly lost his sight in one eye due to a serious infection.

The student’s friend bought a pair of contact lenses online and sent them to her as a gift.

She then contracted a rare infection called acanthamoeba keratitis, which is mainly associated with wearing contact lenses, and was nearly blind in her left eye.

Contact lenses are actually a kind of medical device, and great awareness is needed when buying and wearing, said Dr Yang Xiaobo from Yida Hospital in Shanghai.

“Improper use of contact lenses can have a negative impact on the eyes, such as wearing long hours of contact lenses or using lenses with an inappropriate diopter,” Yang said.

“There are no blood vessels on the surface of the cornea. About 5% of the oxygen on the surface of the eyeballs is extracted from the air, while contact lenses reduce the oxygen content of the eyeball. ocular surface, ”she said.

“So wearing contact lenses for too long can cause dry eyes and acute keratitis. Some people wear contact lenses while they sleep or on consecutive days can also pose a serious risk.”

Lenses with the wrong diopter can cause dizziness and even affect vision.

Experts said people should visit a hospital to get a professional assessment to find out if they can wear contacts before using them for the first time.

“It is extremely important to verify the qualification of sellers if they are purchasing contact lenses online. Good hygiene and healthy contact lens habits are important,” Yang added.

Ti Gong

Dr Yang Xiaobo from Yida Hospital in Shanghai examines a woman’s eyes to assess her contact lens wear status.


Source link

Comments are closed.